I’ve been attending the Board of Trustees meeting down on the Bloomington campus these past two days. The Board always covers a lot of territory in two days. Here’s a very brief run down on the role our Trustees play at IU:
The Board of Trustees serves as IU’s governing entity, and as the legal owner and final authority, overseeing the university’s assets and operations. This makes the board a vital part of the university’s overall functionality, but what do the individual responsibilities of trusteeship specifically entail?
Primary obligations and expectations
Trustees are assigned certain powers and responsibilities under Indiana state law. These include:
- The approval of faculty tenure
- The determination of IU’s admission standards
- The investment of university funds
- The setting of tuition and fees
- The determination of the academic curricula.